Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Name Game




Here is the Lowdown on this Name Game: Names are important. Your kids’ names were chosen for a particular reason and they mean a lot to you so this would be a great story to share! If you don’t share your kids’ names on your blog you can just tell us where you got the catchy nickname for your little ones or just go through 1-10 and amuse us with your naming antics! No problemo! Copy the image above to use on your blog.

1. Do you have any cultural or religious naming traditions?
No....thank goodness. I know there are people who are obligated because of family or religious ties to use a particular name. In our case we had none of those ties. We were at liberty to choose whatever name we wanted. And considering we didn't need any help conceiving a baby I figured naming one ought to be up to us as well :)

2. Did you or your partner come to the marriage with pre-selected names? No...most females have some name in their head that they always knew they wanted to name their daughter or son. I was not one of them. I had no clue whatsoever what my unborn child would be named before the name picking process began.

3. Did you consider the sound of the first and middle and last names together? Did this make any sad eliminations?
Luckily our last name goes with pretty much anything sooooo that was the least of my worries.

4. Do you have veto powers?
Well lets put it this way....if he suggested something heinous I wouldn't have allowed said name to be put on the birth certificate. It was just an unspoken understanding that we would both agree on what to name our child.

5. Did the baby naming cause arguments?
Arguments NO....heated discussions YES. Not because one wanted something the other didn't it was just that every time I came to him with a suggestion he would make fun of it. Especially boys names......he had a joke for every boys name I came up with.

7. Did you eliminate names because of people from your past or present who you don’t like or because a certain image comes to mind.
Well there was one name I really liked (and I cant even remember what it was now) and I was so excited to come home and tell him what I had found because I thought for sure he would like it. That night when we were talking over dinner and I told him the name he said "Sorry honey we cant use that name" I was like "Dangit...why not?" and he proceeded to tell me that was the name of an ex-girlfriends daughter.

8. Did you / would you survey your children to get their thoughts on the name?
Obviously she isn't old enough to care but I doubt I will ask her if she approves of her name. That is one of the glories of being a parent...you get to make the big choices not them. :)

9. Did you tell people the name or possibler names before the baby was born or were they “in the vault”? Yes we told everyone her name....and everyone seemed to love our choice.

10. Did you use baby name books?
No books. I did a lot of research online

Drumroll Please…What did you name your kids and why?
I named my little angel Daley Elise......Once we found out we were having a girl we had already nailed it down to two names. It was either Daley Elise or Jillian Janay. I really loved the name Jillian and Jabins sisters name is Janay and I thought those two names flowed so beautifully together. BUT Jabin and both of his sisters have "J" names and neither one of us wanted it to seem we were keeping with the "J" theme. I was doing some research one day and saw the name Daley online but they had it selected as a masculine name. I immediately liked the name but not for a boy. I had a feeling that Jabin would hate it so I didn't get my hopes up. When I sent him a text with the idea his response was "I Love It!" I was so excited...I thought it was such a sweet name and very very original. I had never heard of that name before...that was a big thing for me, I wanted something original and one of a kind. After mulling over it for a few days we decided to make the decision to that Daley would be her first name. Now onto the hard part...finding a middle name to flow with Daley. We considered still using Janay but for some reason it didn't roll off the tongue very easily. One day at work I was wracking my brain to find the right middle name and I walked into my bosses office and saw a picture of a blonde haired blued eyed little girl and it hit me. Elise!!!!! My boss and his wife have a little girl and her name is Elise and I always thought that was such a pretty name. AND it flowed perfectly with Daley. I am so glad we chose the name we did cause when I look @ her sweet face I cannot imagine calling her anything else.

No comments: