Saturday, December 19, 2009

Day 7 - Fave Christmas Recipe

So my fave Christmas Recipe come from my Nanny. For as long as I can remember ny Nanny has been making her famous "Chewey Bars". About 3 or 4 years ago she gave me the recipe and I had been warned by my mom that they were really hard to make....but I was going to attempt them anyways. Well mom was right.....the making of Chewey Bars is an art. I have never successfully made them as good as hers but they have been close. I will tell you there is a thin line in the cooking process between over-cooked (they come out dry) and under cooked (they come out gooey and gross) So without further a due.....here goes

Nanny's Famous Chewey Bars
Ingredients:
1 one lb box of light brown sugar
2 cups of Bisquick
1 cup of chopped pecans
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 beaten eggs
Powdered Sugar (for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 13x9 Pyrex dish. Mix brown sugar, Bisquick & chopped pecans until they are well mixed in and no sugar lumps. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended. Pour in Pyrex and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

*Please note I have NEVER cooked this for the entire 45 mins. I find that 35 mins is about the right cooking time but I have a gas stove and I know that sometime gas cooks quicker than electric. Sooooo just keep an eye on it. The key is to not let it cook too long. The toothpick trick doesnt work so dont mess with that. The consistency you are going for is a cross between a cookie and a brownie.

After it has cooled sift powdered sugar on top and cut into squares.

No comments: